Thursday, September 12, 2013

First World Problems: We Got Cable, and Suddenly My Three-Bed Is Too Small

I’m an introvert. I know the internet is currently on tail-end of its “WTF IS AN INTROVERT” phase, but it’s relevant. I much prefer quiet and solitude. I need personal space. Lots of it. It's hard to come by when a) you work in an open plan office, b) live with your boyfriend, and c) do not have a personal space in your own apartment. Right now it’s causing a lot of emotional distance problems in my relationship. I'm not checked in, I admit it.

When we were finally forced to get our own internet and stop mooching off the landlord, Lennon put the account in his name, and got us some goddamn fancy FIOS. The kind that has cable. I have never owned a television, and the last house I lived in that had some form of TV entertainment (besides my parents') was in my sophomore year of college. His television was old, and not flat. We have limited space. You can see where this is going.


Not here, though.

Enter his (he paid for it) new television. I like putting on pilates, yoga, or watching Netflix via the XBOX. I could do all this with my laptop, but TV is bigger and nicer and the sound isn’t coming out of a three-year-old Macbook’s blown-out speakers. The rest of the time, it drives me a little crazy.

Did you know TV still has ads?

Lennon is a media junkie with ADD. He’s an multi-concentrator. Last night when we got home from dinner, he started watching Family Guy on television, and a nerd-stuff webseries. At the same time. With audible volume on both. I have a thing where if there’s more than one type of noise going on at a particular volume, I can’t concentrate on anything but getting out of there as fast as possible.

I took my Kindle into the bedroom to read, just like every night since we got the television. At the end of the day I am desperate for quiet. Lennon is desperate for distraction. We don’t spend time together in the late evening anymore. I know we don’t have to watch television: he can turn it off and read comics, or play on his phone, or any number of other things.

But the television asks the least of him, and he needs that recharge too.

It's not a total wash; the quiet downtime is necessary for me to continue functioning. But, relegated to the bedroom because of the TV... there is no space left in the apartment to be mine.

I’d love the solution to be setting aside another room, so he can be comfortable owning spaces in the rest of the apartment. Unfortunately, everything I would use to furnish it is needed elsewhere, and I don’t want to take anything away for fear I will say he can use the room for a specific purpose and suddenly it will "belong" to him... which is what tends to happen.

I'm very good about respecting other people's spaces. I don't like disturbing the energy, or otherwise changing the feel of it. I try to keep my own energy small if I'm in there. It's why Lennon now has the whole office and I generally don't go in there except to get a book from a shelf, or if I need to work from home. I don't go into his dressing room (the second bedroom) unless I need the iron, or a towel from the closet. The kitchen is common space. The living room is common space. The front bedroom is big closet storage and the rabbit's space, because she's destructive, and pulls books off the shelf.



And she will eat them.

Houston, we have a problem. We have a three-bedroom apartment, and I don't even fit in it.

4 comments:

  1. As an introvert who shared a studio with my tv-loving husband for 11 years, I can tell you it could be a lot worse. We just moved to a one-bedroom and I am blissful about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even... I would go insane. Congrats on your move!

      Delete
  2. I have similar problems about being introverted and needing space to recharge. It's been an issue in every place I've lived except the current one. If you don't mind advice, take a cue from your rabbit.
    What I mean is, establish territory and defend it. Talk to your boyfriend about your needs and how out of two spare rooms (office and dressing room) both of them have become his space. You pay half the rent, so you deserve equal space. He can combine his stuff into one room, and you can claim the other. You might not be able to fill it with everything you want to right away. It'll take time to build up furniture or whatever else you want. But it's important to make it yours, and even if it seems logical to lend out a little to him, resist; keep that one room all to yourself. It's not selfish. It's not being overly needy. It's recognizing your needs as well as keeping the space equal.

    Sorry if this comes off as odd, it's meant to be encouraging and supportive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! I will definitely consider invading the rabbit's space (it's sort of the last option! The bowflex and gym stuff do fit best in the office, and if I can rig up some kind of anti-bunny system, the books might survive her.

      Delete