Friday, September 6, 2013

Lost in Transition

When I was offered my first well-paid job outside childcare after a year and a half of being broke as a live-in au pair, my first response was: Oh my god – I'll be able to afford my own apartment. I can walk around naked whenever I want to. And drink. And play loud music. I can be drunk, naked, and dancing whenever I want to! Huzzah!

That makes my post-childcare life sound like one big naked party, and it isn't – after all, I still have to work at my new job to get paid. But there's nothing like live-in childcare to make you truly appreciate being in your mid-twenties – even if it's only at the weekends. And occasionally on Tuesdays.


Being an au pair taught me some of the best – and worst – things, about children and families, about the relationships between mothers and nannies, about education and child development, and about myself. The biggest and most important thing I learned is that I will never take another live-in childcare job again in my life. I may even move out of my house when I have my own children. Well, that might be an exaggeration, maybe, but my 18 months as an au pair for three different families put my feelings about starting my own family into perspective.

I used to be one of those girls who would melt at the sight of babies, cooing and fussing over the small children I saw on the bus or in the supermarket. I have one other friend who is like this, and she once said her uterus would ache at the sight of a baby – that's what I felt once, too. The uterine ache of longing for babies.

Then I started getting paid to look after children.


As much as I love children, I never planned to go into childcare after college – it was close to last on my list of post-graduate jobs I would be willing to take – but after moving back to the UK from the States and discovering that care jobs were the only ones available in abundance, my choices were narrowed down to one question: old people or children?

I chose childcare because I thought I'd be good at it – or at least, better than I knew I'd be in eldercare. I'm ashamed to admit that old people who need care – especially personal care – gross me out and frankly scare me. I met plently of eldercare workers who said the same of children, so I guess they're in the right job, and that's what I was afraid of the most. I didn't want to be in a job looking after old people when I knew I'd be the wrong person for the job. They didn't deserve to have me looking after them.

I quickly learned that I wasn't exactly the right person for childcare, either.

My first 'job' as an au pair was in Wales, living with a close family friend, someone I've known since I was nine years and have always considered a big sister to me. When I moved back to the UK, I needed a place to live, and Lucie needed some help with the kids and the house. We were eager to reconnect and grateful that we were able to help each other out; we both felt like we were each getting the better end of the deal, me room and board plus as much pocket money as she could afford to pay me, her a clean(er) house and childcare that allowed her to establish and develop her new business as a grower of fresh produce and herbs as well as herbal bodycare products.

Another upside? Buying birthday / Christmas / baby shower gifts are a snap!

Looking after her two children didn't feel much like a job, but it was definitely hard work. Thankfully, their mother and I, despite seven years without seeing each other and rarely writing, seemed to have near-identical childcare philosophies. Food and nutrition, playtime, schooling, discipline: whatever was happening, we gave the children consistent messages, which I didn't know at the time was a rare and precious thing. When the children were with their fathers, or away at sleepovers, we would get all the mums together and go out dancing, or stay in and cook delicious meals that were uninterrupted by children, and these women became my friends, my support system. Having to move back to the UK, away from my mom and my college friends, could get lonely sometimes, but they were always there for me. I felt completely at home with them, and loved all their children too. We were one big happy [crazy] family.

Lucie and me on a to-scale bouncy Stonehenge. The kids complained about it being too wet. We had a blast.

My next two jobs were far from Wales, with families I didn't know, and I'm not sure whether I truly had less personal space during my time with these families or if I was simply more aware of the fact my space was being invaded by strangers instead of people I considered my family. I was still lonely, more so than when I'd first moved, but I was never alone. Close by there was always the noise, and the needs, of others.

To cut a long story short – though I've got plenty of stories from those families that I'm sure I'll share in other blog posts – my third au pair job ended abruptly in May just as I was being approached by someone from the Mozilla Foundation to work on their Open Badges team, and I was suddenly back in Wales, looking at potential apartments online, and getting set up with my new position at Mozilla. Within two months, I had a new laptop, I'd been flown back to Maine for the team retreat, and my bank account was in shock, having reached a figure it hadn't seen since I was in high school.




This summer has been one of transition. I try to use “transition” instead of “limbo” to describe my life, because being in limbo feels static, and out of my control. Transition means change, and I like change. It's been a long summer, with many steps forward and almost as many steps back – but I saw somewhere that optimism is seeing one step forward and one step back as a cha-cha. I like that.



On Monday, I'm supposed to be moving into my new apartment – which, after weeks of delays and staying with friends and in hotels, has been a long time coming. I will have my grown-up job, my all-to-myself apartment, and my friends will be living nearby. Bring out the wine and turn up the music, for I will no longer be in transition, no longer in limbo.

I will be on my own, but I won't be lonely. I'll be dancing.


No comments:

Post a Comment